Student related

Visa Policy
Published:1 July 2019 Source: Author:IEC

I Student Visa

According to related regulations, international students coming to study in China should apply for an X1 visa (for a study period of more than 180 days), or an X2 visa (for a study period of less than 180 days).Without the valid visa, students will not be able to register at the university. Students holding an X1 visa should apply for a residence permit within 30 days after entering China.

International students coming to study in China should apply for a Chinese student visa at the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in their country of nationality or country of residence. Applying for a student visa requires supplying the original Admission Letter, valid passport, the Visa Application for Study in China (Form JW202/201), and any additional documents requested by the Chinese embassy or Consulate.

Contact information for Chinese Embassies and Consulates can be found through the website of the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

II Visa Application

According to Chinese law, it is not possible to apply for a visa or change visas by entering Mainland China using a visa-free entry. Do not use a visa-free entry to enter into China.

1. For students applying for a visa from outside of China, please carefully research visa types, and read the description below:

a. X1 Visa:The X1 visa generally permits only one entry, and students must register at the university within 30 days after entry in order to apply for the required residence permit, otherwise it constitutes illegal residence. Since the university does not accept students registering in advance of the scheduled date, and it usually takes 3-5 working days to prepare the residence permit application, it is suggested that international students holding an X1 visa should have at least one week remaining on their visa before its expiry date at the time of registration at the university.

b. X2 Visa:The number of entries and the duration of stay permitted per entry are both indicated on the X2 visa. Once international students on an X2 visa enter the country, they should keep in mind the permitted duration of their stay on their visa and must register at the university within the time limit specified.

Please note that entry into Mainland China from Hong Kong S.A.R., Macao S.A.R., or China Taiwan is considered as one entry.

2. Regarding visa collection: When picking up one's passport containing the visa for China, please ensure that the Embassy or Consulate returns the original copy of the Admission Letter and the Visa Application for Study in China (Form JW202/201). These are important and required documents for international students for their study, residence permit application and other procedures while in China.

III Passport Nationality Used at Registration

1. The nationality of the passport used by the international student when registering at the university should be consistent with the nationality listed when applying to study at the university, otherwise they will not be able to register at the university.

2. For international students who have both foreign nationality and a residence identity from Hong Kong, Macao or China Taiwan, if they applied to the university under their foreign nationality they must not register at the university using the travel documents for Hong Kong, Macao and China Taiwan (such as the Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents and the Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents).

IV Travel Planning

The university arranges specific registration dates (usually in late August) for all international students to register at the university. Advance registration is not available. International students whose visa, stay permit or residence permit has expired or will expire in too short a time to go through the registration formalities will not be permitted to register at the university. Therefore, travel planning is essential. Please do not enter into China too early in advance before the designated university registration period to avoid the risk of the entry visa expiring before registration, which will lead to an inability to enter the university and or other difficulties.

In addition, after registration, international students applying for a residence permit will be without their passport for approximately 3-4 weeks while it is being processed. International students holding an X2 visa who after registration need to apply for an extension or increase of the number of entries on their visa will be without their passport for approximately 3 to 4 weeks.

V Rejection of Admission Offer

If an international student decides to renounce their admission offer from the university, he or she may not use the documents issued by the university to apply for a visa, nor use that visa to enter China. According to Chinese government regulations, after the university registration period has concluded, the university will report all unregistered international students to the Guangzhou Immigration Administration.

If a student holds a visa to study in China but does not register at the university they have been admitted to, the visa may be cancelled and the individual will be penalized for making an illegal stay.

VI Visa Breaches and Penalties

It is illegal to stay in China after a visa, stay permit or residence permit has expired. Those committing such an offense will be subject to a fine of RMB 500 per day and will face detainment or deportation.


Ms YE Jiayi,Ms YANG Lijun

International Student Affairs Office

Tel.: 0086-20-37626172


Office: Room 721,Library Building,Dongfeng Campus,International Exchange College,GDUT

Address: No.729 Dongfengdong Road,Yuexiu District,Guangzhou,P.R China (510090)


International Exchange College

Updated May 2024